Domain Name System (DNS) administration
The Domain Name System (DNS) is one of the core elements of online communications: making the link between a network of devices and the Internet, made for humans. Most online activities actually start with a request to the DNS, making this protocol of upmost importance for IT operations.
This course is targeted at IT students, professionals or enthusiasts having to deal with DNS (for example because they operate a corporate network or manage domain names) and aims at giving them sound theoretical basis and a concrete hands-on experience (through practical labs) to embrace best practices and avoid caveats in operation.
Out of stock
Sorry, the course is fully booked. If you are interested in getting notified for future dates, please leave your name and email address below
October 19, 2023
October 20, 2023
Language(s) of the training
Languages spoken by the coach(es)
Dr. Guillaume-Jean Herbiet
This course covers the following :
- History of the DNS
- Bases of the DNS protocol
- DNS namespace architecture
- Domain name management and publication, including hands-on implementation
- DNS resolution process, including hands-on implementation
- Issues analysis and troubleshooting
- DNS implementation best practices
During this course, after a more theoretical introduction to understand the basic concepts of the DNS, learners will be invited to actually install, configure and operate DNS servers, in order to replicate real-life DNS operations, for example:
- publishing and modifying information about a domain name
- creating a reliable redundant architecture
- troubleshooting issues and errors
The emphasis will be made on following best-practices and avoiding common mistakes that generally impair operation of domain names.
On successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- have a clear overview of the DNS namespace and current infrastructure
- have a practical and up-to-date understanding of the DNS protocol, relevant for daily operations
- configure and manage DNS authoritative servers (used to publish information associated to a domain name)
- configure and manage DNS resolvers (used to query information associated to a domain name)
- analyze DNS queries and troubleshoot issues
This course has a total duration of 14 hours and takes place over 2 days
- 19-10-2023: 09:00 – 12:00
- 19-10-2023: 13:00 – 17:00
- 20-10-2023: 09:00 – 12:00
- 20-10-2023: 13:00 – 17:00
Format and Location
This course takes place ON-SITE
Terres Rouges building
14, porte de France
Basic knowledge of GNU/Linux system administration (installing packages, editing configuration files, restarting services, monitoring logs, …) is expected for the hands-on labs.
This training does not have any assessment or exams; a certificate of participation will be issued to participants.